Wolverton & District Archaelogical & Historical Society
In 1955, whilst excavating the area around the abandoned twelfth century church of St Peter’s, Stanton Low, a group of amateur archaeologists remarked upon the lack of a local archaeological society. They decided to set one up and in September 1955 the Wolverton and District Archaeological Society was born. The late Ray Bellchambers became its first chairman and in September 2005 he was happy to be cutting the cake at the Golden Jubilee celebrations.
Now known as Wolverton and District Archaeological and Historical Society its meetings are held at 7.30 pm on the third Wednesday of the month from September to April at St Mary& St Giles Middle School hall, King George Crescent Stony Stratford. There are currently around 130 members, who receive a two-monthly newsletter and an annual lecture programme. The talks are always interesting and range from slides of North Bucks to Houdini, mustard and old lace. There are outings to places of interest during the summer and joint visits with the Stacey Hill Society are also arranged. Everyone is welcome to join and annual membership is £7.00 with junior and senior citizens paying £6.00. Non members can pick up copies of the lecture programme at Stony Stratford and Wolverton libraries.
Contact: Roger Emery, telephone: 01908 565613, or Iris Day, telephone: 01908 568330. The Society also has a website. Click here for more information.
Since 1964 the Society has maintained a record on slides of the northern area of Milton Keynes, together with adjacent areas of north Bucks and south Northants. It also publishes new and reprinted local histories and collections of old photographs. Every year there is a stall at the Stony Stratford Town Fayre and the Christmas lights switch-on day when these and other second hand general and local history books and church guides can be bought. The Society also works hard to ensure that local listed buildings, historic objects and sites are preserved.